50 Questions With Ben Cobb
As his collaboration with Tiger of Sweden is launched, the editor of ES Journal is confronted with a barrage of invasive questions by AnOther Journal
Even if you happen to don’t know Ben Cobb by title, you’ll know him by sight. The previous One other Man editor-in-chief and present ES Journal editor – and this author’s outdated boss – is understood for his inimitable fashion: a svelte, refined, 70s-inflected uniform of tailoring that some name elegant and others (the NYT) name “splendidly sleazy” – their phrases not mine.
This week, Cobb has launched a collaboration with Sweden’s oldest tailoring model, Tiger of Sweden, completely on Matches Style. Echoing his fashion, the gathering includes two fits, 4 shirts, two cosy cropped knits, and two extraordinarily cosy overcoats – one brown, one gray – all crafted deadstock from British and Italian mills so you may get pleasure from it guilt-free.
To rejoice the launch of the gathering, AnOther Journal took Ben Cobb to the pub, purchased him a stiff drink and proceeded to probe him with a collection of intrusive, invasive questions – some pertaining to this assortment and others (most) not.
1. Are you prepared? No, I really feel like that is revenge.
2. A cob is a male swan, a “thickset short-legged kind of horse”, one other title for hazel, a small rounded lump of coal and a spherical loaf of bread. Which do you suppose is most true for you? I’d say a swan as a result of I like the best way they seem sleek on the floor, however beneath the floor they’re paddling like loopy.
3. What was it like collaborating with Tiger of Sweden? It was a fantastic expertise. I’ve been a pal of the model for years so it felt actually pure. I’m additionally very shut with Matches Style, who’re our unique accomplice on this venture, so the entire thing felt like a household affair.
4. Describe the gathering in three phrases? Elegant. Romantic. Timeless.
5. How would you like individuals to really feel after they’re sporting it? Assured.
6. What’s a style second that genuinely moved you? Dries Van Noten’s A/W16 menswear present on the Opera Garnier in Paris. That swept me away.
7. Who’s the best-dressed particular person you realize? My father.
8. Garments-wise, what provides you the ick? No socks.
9. Shag, marry, kill: the 60s, 70s and 80s. Shag the 80s, marry the 70s and kill the 60s.
10. What makes you indignant? Ineptitude. Significantly in politics.
11. In the event you might carry one political coverage into rapid impact, what would it not be? All empty property to be opened to the homeless.
12. What’s one social trigger you want individuals talked about extra? Homelessness.
13. What does liberation imply to you? Not caring.
14. The place is your completely happy place? In mattress.
15. What’s one thing individuals can be stunned to find out about you? I used to be a county champion gold medal hurdler.
16. Do you consider in aliens? Sure, I believe so.
17. Do you consider in ghosts? Sure.
18. Do you consider in God? I don’t suppose anybody’s in management. Nature is God.
19. Do you consider in life after demise? I actually hope so.
20. Do you consider in love at first sight? Sure, completely.
What’s one thing individuals can be stunned to find out about you? “I used to be a county champion gold medal hurdler” – Ben Cobb
21. What’s the very best praise you will have ever obtained? The one I at all times get is that I appear to be Billy Crudup from Virtually Well-known. Which I’ll take. I get that rather a lot, significantly at airport customs.
22. What’s the greatest recommendation you will have ever obtained? Discover ways to say no.
23. What recommendation would you give to your youthful self? Don’t fear about it.
24. Who would you wish to play you in a film about your life? A young Helmut Berger.
25. And who would you wish to direct that film? David Lynch. And if he wasn’t obtainable, Dario Argento.
26. Of everybody you’ve met, who had essentially the most star high quality? I don’t actually get starstruck by massive Hollywood individuals, it’s extra trashy TV individuals. I bear in mind seeing Cat Slater in Selfridges and she or he form of blindsided me.
27. Which historic determine would you most like to satisfy? Stanley Kubrick.
28. Describe your excellent date. Anyplace with my spouse, Anna-Marie. Ideally in Paris.
29. What’s your high first date tip? Go in for the kiss.
30. Who or what makes you snigger essentially the most? My spouse.
31. What qualities do you search for in a pal? Humour, loyalty and good sneakers.
32. What’s your most controversial opinion? You’re not going to cancel me, Ted. You’re not going to carry me down now.
33. What’s the very last thing you modified your thoughts about? Doing this interview.
34. What’s your star signal? Sagittarius.
35. What’s essentially the most Sagittarian factor about you? I’m an everlasting optimist.
36. What’s your best advantage? I’m sort, I hope.
37. What’s your best vice? Married at First Sight Australia.
38. What would you put on to the Met Gala? My Tiger of Sweden assortment.
39. And on the opposite finish of the spectrum, what’s your basic lazy day/popping to the outlets for a pint of milk look? I imply, it’s at all times tailoring it doesn’t matter what I am doing.
40. If I got here spherical for dinner, what would you prepare dinner? A lemon hen tagine.
Of everybody you’ve met, who had essentially the most star high quality? “I don’t actually get starstruck by massive Hollywood individuals, it’s extra trashy TV individuals. I bear in mind seeing Cat Slater in Selfridges and she or he form of blindsided me” – Ben Cobb
41. What are you studying in the meanwhile? Greatest Vendor June Newton.
42. What e-book would you wish to learn for the primary time once more? Something by JG Ballard.
43. What can be the title of your autobiography? You Ought to Have Seen Me Ten Years In the past.
44. What’s the final movie that made you cry? The George Michael documentary.
45. In the event you might steal one murals, with no repercussions, and cling it in your lounge, what would you select? Patrick Procktor’s portrait of Christopher Gibbs.
46. What’s your most treasured possession? My life.
47. What object would you prefer to be? Liz Taylor’s diamond necklace.
48. What recommendation would you give to aspiring journal editors? Discover your voice and use it.
49. What’s your best worry? Mediocrity.
50. Who’s your final muse? Pier Paolo Pasolini, Helmut Berger and Alain Delon. They’re my holy trinity.
Ben Cobb x Tiger of Sweden is on the market on Matches Style now.